Archivist for an Iconic Architecture Practice
An iconic architecture practice is looking for an archivist to assist in all aspects of the Exhibitions and Archive Department operations.
The role requires an extremely organised, methodical, self-motivated, efficient and proactive person. Having a meticulous attention to detail is absolutely essential and the ideal candidate must be happy to carry out repetitive tasks. Great communication and interpersonal skills are also required.
The ideal candidate would have previous experience in a similar role in a museum, library or gallery, with a strong interest in architecture and design.
This is a wonderful opportunity for the right candidate to be intimately involved in all facets of the archive of an architectural practice as well as the exhibition administration and logistical end of the architectural/design world.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Assisting the archivist with the management of the archive of past and current works
- Assisting the archivist with the management of the company’s different physical storage spaces.
- Assessing, condition-checking, photographing and cataloguing architectural and design models/artefacts/prototypes
- Assessing, condition-checking, scanning and cataloguing project sketches, drawings and other two dimensional material
- Uploading images to the practice’s digital image database
- Adding and updating information to the company’s archive database in order to create sensible and comprehensive records
- Carrying out internal and external research into the context and provenance of different works
- Identifying objects in need of cleaning and repair
- Re-packaging archive items when needed
- Preparation of installation instructions, condition reports and care guides for complex multi-part architectural models
- Assisting the Archivist with the preparation of material for transfer to off-site storage or to be shipped to exhibitions. Support the department with the logistical administration of exhibitions to a very high standard and on time
- Managing and negotiating production of frames, crating, transport, supplies, etc.
- Assist to ensure a smooth practical and efficient running of the department.
- Ability to prioritise and plan tasks and to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with databases, Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
- Experience of handling delicate objects
- Experience repairing architectural models would be an advantage
- A passion for architecture, design and archives
Please get in touch to hear more about the role!