Design Manager Job
- Job Level:
- Manager, Senior
- Job Type:
- Software Skills:
- Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Solidworks
- Job Reference:
Design Manager / London / £40k / Permanent
Skills: Product Design, Industrial Design, Design Manager, Project Management, Garden, Homeware, Lifestyle, Solidworks, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign.
An exciting opportunity to join a new brand, and be part of a fresh and innovative team that look to bring substance and style to outdoor living. You will lead a young team of designers to deliver desirable products to the lifestyle, homeware and garden industry.
Closely affiliated with one of the UK’s most successful garden product suppliers the new brand will have a solid platform for manufacturing, distribution and product visibility.
The successful candidate will be an experienced product designer with the ability to take full creative control and manage new product development, interested in current trends and able to translate these in to design patterns. It would be beneficial for the candidate to have a keen interest in gardening and plants.
THE DESIGN MANAGER ROLE
- The Senior Design Manager has full end to end responsibility for all assigned categories and their growth. This requires overseeing all NPD projects from opportunity identification through to approval, having a holistic view of each assigned category and a clear strategic vision for category evolution. Finding opportunities and commercialising them.
- In-depth category knowledge and expertise; Market sizes, key competitor activity, trends, pattern design.
- Deep understanding of consumer’s habits, needs and frustrations in the category.
- Identification of clear insights and opportunities. Vision to set the right briefs to drive the category to achieve its growth targets.
- Specific focus on the commercial potential of opportunities, ideas and designs.
- Close tracking of legislation, directives and capabilities (specific to assigned categories) Ownership of the NPD plan.
- Development of a fully integrated plan which interleaves products and technologies into a cohesive range.
- Maintenance of Critical Path plans for each project.
- Track costs through product development process and ensure projects are kept in-line with agreed P&L targets.
- Propose, nominate, brief and manage external design resource to deliver products in-line with the category plan and critical path.
- Brief on future themes and projects that will support the category plan.
- Liaise with and manage suppliers and factories and deliver products on time and budget.
- Ensure that the products developed are aligned with the brand.
ABOUT THE DESIGN MANAGER
- A degree in a relevant creative discipline, i.e. Product Design, Industrial Design.
- Experience delivering products into market.
- A developing portfolio of innovative and creative design work.
- Knowledge of Solidworks and Keyshot,
- Competent user of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Good eye for Graphic / Pattern design.
- Passion for creating bold and innovative ideas.
- Able to challenge conventional thinking, whilst keeping your ideas grounded in commercial reasoning.
- Highly organised and experienced in running multiple projects.
- Ability to lead designers and consultancies to design products, right through to managing manufacturers and suppliers to deliver products on time, cost and spec.