Lead Product Design Manager Job
- Job Level:
- Job Type:
- Job Reference:
Lead Product Design Manager/ London / £65k / Permanent
Skills: Product Design, Industrial Design, Project Management, Consumer Products, Homeware, Packaging, Solidworks, Keyshot, CMF, Ideation, FMCG
An exciting opportunity for a talented Lead Product Design Manager to join a London based household name in the world of contemporary homeware products and a major player in the global retail market. With new ranges launching twice yearly, the company has won multiple awards for their innovative products and trend driven design.
The role requires you to be heavily involved in the management of the new product development team, guiding the team in the full product development process.
As Lead Product Design Manager you will be responsible for the development and management of a number of key categories. You will have full end-to-end autonomy and responsibility for the product and range developments within those categories.
The ideal candidate is highly creative innovator with sound leadership skills who challenge conventional thinking, whilst keeping your ideas grounded in commercial reasoning that can be communicated and proven.
THE LEAD PRODUCT DESIGN MANAGER ROLE
- A senior position within the New Product Development team and work closely with the Creative Director to create the future products for the company.
- Your team will be responsible for the management of concept development, concept sign off, product development, tooling sign off, pre-production and launch.
- Full responsibility for the category Design Managers and be expected to deliver new and exciting products to market on time and to budget.
- Focus on identifying new ideas, proving their potential for high revenue generation and working with the product development teams to bring them to market.
- You must possess an ability to understand brand, consumer and retail requirements, you will be working in product categories and markets that are important for the future growth of the business.
- Regular meetings with the senior management on product development strategy but the responsibility falls with you and your team to provide intelligent solutions to product briefs. You will be given sufficient time to conduct necessary research and explore new directions.
- You will be passionate and disciplined about delivering the right products to hit revenue targets, play a key role in delivering growth within your categories and driven to find manageable solutions to complex problems during development.
ABOUT THE LEAD PRODUCT DESIGN MANAGER
- You will have an ability to organise you and your team’s time effectively, provide clear direction, work on different projects simultaneously, sometimes under pressure and to present ideas to internal teams with conviction.
- You will have excellent project management skills and an enthusiastic “hands-on” approach.
- A clear portfolio demonstrating your experience in leading the creative process and development of inventive products within FMCG categories.
- Proven experience of leading a team within the field of Industrial Design, Engineering Design or Product design.
- A proven track record of identifying and developing innovative ideas is essential.
- Experience in 3D-product design and good knowledge of material and manufacturing techniques including, injection moulding, fabrication and general manufacturing processes.
- A strong sense and understanding of design aesthetic and an ability to think laterally and draw inspiration from different subject matters.
- An ability to critique competitor product and suggest improvement.
- An ability to problem solve through creative thinking with sound commercial sense.
- Strong planning and management skills and the ability to successfully deliver manufacturing projects on time and to budget.
- A highly motivated personality, with a positive attitude and the ability to work well within a dynamic and fast moving environment.
- Strong communication skills and faultless attention to detail.
- Sound presentation and analytical skills.
- An education to degree level in Product Design, Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- A willingness to travel within the UK and overseas to meet suppliers.
- Very high standards of Solidworks
- Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop
- Proficiency in KeyShot or similar rendering package
- Experience in Pro-E or AutoCAD is also beneficial.